DirectStop

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

iPhone Fart Apps Bring Out the Lawyer-Mans

MoRa
    MoRa
    Administrator
    Administrator

Date Joined : 2008-03-25

iPhone Fart Apps Bring Out the Lawyer-Mans Empty iPhone Fart Apps Bring Out the Lawyer-Mans

Post by MoRa Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:22 am

iPhone Fart Apps Bring Out the Lawyer-Mans Ifart1_1

With enough chutzpah to make a patent troll wolf-whistle, a Florida company has claimed the phrase "pull my finger" - used by a competing iPhone fart app, of course - infringes on its intellectual property.

The two sides, Air-O-Matic, maker of "Pull My Finger," and InfoMedia, developer of iFart are in negotiations to settle the dispute. Pull My Finger was once upon a time the No. 2 selling application on the iTunes store. But then it was overtaken by iFart, which has done more than $200,000 in sales since its release. Perhaps not coincidentally, that resulted in Air-O-Matic demanding $50,000 from InfoMedia as compensation for lost sales and other, uh, ***t.

iFart is about the most juvenile goddamn thing I've paid money for in the past year, which is to say I love it. You can order up a fart from a menu of disgusting ones or record your own. There's also a time-delay and a motion-sensor feature, allowing you to deploy the phone as a virtual whoopee cushion. I have no idea what Pull My Finger did or did not do, other than, of course, fart.

Naturally, someone with a juris doctor was paid a lot of money to write a C&D letter, with all of the gravity and dignity a $200/hour attorney can muster, about farting and pulling fingers. InfoMedia returned fire, asking for a declaratory judgment because "The phrase 'pull my finger' is understood to be a description of the act of passing gas, not a trademark violation."

"Believe it or not, I'm really uncomfortable with bathroom humor," Air-O-Matic co-owner Sam Magdalein told the Denver Post. "My partner is more into that kind of humor, and he pushed me a little bit into doing this as a joke. It would be pretty ridiculous to have this end up in court."

Yes it would. Wonder who took it there, Sam?

News of the legal action sent a throng of high-school sophomores to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to stake claims to other fart games, including "Two" (and its variant, "Sapes"), "Safety/Slug (The Cereal Game)" "You Ate It" and "Grenade." Bic, makers of disposable butane lighters, also filed for a patent protecting its discovery that farting on an open flame creates a giant orange fireball that is totally hilarious and impresses all your friends.

Source
    kristallnachte
    Noob

Date Joined : 2009-03-29

iPhone Fart Apps Bring Out the Lawyer-Mans Empty Re: iPhone Fart Apps Bring Out the Lawyer-Mans

Post by kristallnachte Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 am

not nearly as good as the TWSS app
    Pikachu
    Pikachu
    Light Moderator
    Light Moderator

Date Joined : 2009-05-17

iPhone Fart Apps Bring Out the Lawyer-Mans Empty Re: iPhone Fart Apps Bring Out the Lawyer-Mans

Post by Pikachu Sun May 17, 2009 7:19 pm

I guess they're fighting over farting. First time I heard that happen.
    KillaRick
    KillaRick

Date Joined : 2009-01-22

Post by KillaRick Fri May 29, 2009 3:37 am

thats whack lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:26 am